The day the music died.

Post your trade requests and trading block here

The day the music died.

Postby Dammage79 » Fri Oct 11, 2019 12:17 am

Well, this is supposed to be fun and yet, 6 or 7 active GMs out of 24.

I'm seriously considering packing this in.
Last edited by Dammage79 on Sun Mar 01, 2020 9:10 pm, edited 11 times in total.
Dammage79
General Manager

30: New Jersey
Dynasty: The Devils

Re: Trade Block: New Jersey Devils. November 16th.

Postby Dammage79 » Sat Nov 16, 2019 12:04 pm

Les bumpe
Dammage79
General Manager

Re: Trade Block: New Jersey Devils. November 16th.

Postby Dammage79 » Fri Dec 06, 2019 5:05 pm

Bump
Dammage79
General Manager

Re: Trade Block: New Jersey Devils. December.

Postby Dammage79 » Fri Dec 20, 2019 8:38 am

Bumo
Dammage79
General Manager

Re: Trade Block: New Jersey Devils. February.

Postby Dammage79 » Sat Feb 08, 2020 11:32 am

Tap.
Dammage79
General Manager

Re: Trade Block: New Jersey Devils. February.

Postby Dammage79 » Mon Feb 10, 2020 11:20 pm

Tip
Dammage79
General Manager

Re: Deadline: Playoffs? Playoffs!!

Postby Dammage79 » Thu Feb 20, 2020 6:17 pm

Bump
Dammage79
General Manager

Re: Deadline: Playoffs? Playoffs!!

Postby Dammage79 » Mon Feb 24, 2020 6:18 pm

Tap
Dammage79
General Manager

Re: D Day 2020.

Postby Dammage79 » Fri Feb 28, 2020 10:13 pm

Bumo
Dammage79
General Manager

Re: The day the music died.

Postby Dammage79 » Sun Mar 01, 2020 9:10 pm

Bump
Dammage79
General Manager

Postby Dr. Cor » Sun Mar 01, 2020 9:29 pm

Don't quit man. We should probably have some rule about activity. Get some more and active GMs
HTN performance:
Classic (beginning 2018-19): 2018-19: 2nd Overall, Playoff Champion
Dynasty (beginning 2019-20): Hoping not to be last
Dr. Cor
General Manager

30: Pittsburgh Penguins
Roto: Rogue Squadron
Dynasty: Caribou Launchers

Postby ForeverFlameFan » Sun Mar 01, 2020 10:55 pm

It’s really unfortunate.

The TDL for HTN would be so lit if we even had 5 more active ones. I feel your pain damage, but if we lose you then we are really losing out on a not just a fantasy GM but a great person. I don’t blame you for how you feel, but would love for you to stay.

As for the other GM’s that participated today, thanks for making it a blast.
ForeverFlameFan
General Manager

30: Los Angeles Kings

Postby cyclone3483 » Mon Mar 02, 2020 6:51 am

I tried to be more active for the TDL but just wasn’t getting any action. I was willing but the deals were not what I liked or I offered what others did not like.

I hope we don’t lose you. You are a good fit for this league and we need more like you.
F: Scheifele-Barkov-Connor-Ehlers-Drouin-Danault-Zucker-Thomas-Terry-Kyrou Davidsson-Stephens-Holmström-Chmelevski-McLeod-True-Tomasino-Kawagucci-Protas
D:Ekblad-Lindholm-Gostisbehere-McAvoy-Bear Aho
G: Anderson-Samsonov Bilyalov
cyclone3483

Postby Ford Prefect » Mon Mar 02, 2020 9:45 am

As I said to Dan via PM, the activity here could be a lot better, but every other fantasy league I’ve ever been in has been worse. Sometimes a lot worse.
2011-2012 HTN 30 Regular Season Champ
2014-2015 Dynasty Regular Season Champ
2015-2016 Dynasty Regular Season Champ
2015-2016 Dynasty Playoff Champ
2015-2016 Roto Regular Season Champ
2018-2019 Roto Playoff Champ
Ford Prefect
CP's Most Wanted

30: Detroit Red Wings
Roto: Orkney Coyotes
Dynasty: Castor Raiders

Postby dropit » Mon Mar 02, 2020 10:12 am

Hard to argue. I know I've had a handful in PMs out there for 3+ weeks now. I know that at times it can be tough to keep activity up uf you arent competing or tanking, but would be nice to see an effort.
dropit
General Manager

30: Anaheim Ducks
Roto: Iceland Bombers

Postby RedHawk12 » Mon Mar 02, 2020 12:43 pm

Maybe we can implement an activity check once every month or two. Just send out an email and get everyone to log on and confirm attendance. They would probably look at their messages, etc. at the same time. If they miss a few, we can start looking for replacements right away.

It would suck to lose you Dammage. You're a great GM on here.
2018/2019 ROTO Regular Season Champions
2018/2019 Dynasty Regular Season Champions
RedHawk12

Postby Dr. Cor » Mon Mar 02, 2020 2:13 pm

That's a good idea. I think once a month might not quite be enough, but I think the idea of an activity check would be valuable.
HTN performance:
Dr. Cor
General Manager

Postby Tiger » Mon Mar 02, 2020 2:25 pm

you can already see the last time anyone logged onto the HTN site or the Fantrax site. So you can see the activity already. part of the issue is people are getting older and at certain ages (having kids, moving higher up in jobs) there is less and less time for something like fantasy sports, I personally find it difficult to keep up with everything. Its also harder for new people to come in and have to learn how to work in this league and other expectations. I was never an original person either although been around since 2011. I found it difficult to take over a team and kind of being on the outside, but it was fairly easy and it was high activity back then. I think the way of getting more involvement is actually a hard reset, which will be a difficult thing to do.
HTN Classic 3rd place 2010-2011
HTN Playoff Classic Semi-Finalist 2012, 2015, 2019
HTN Dynasty Semi-Finalist 2016
HTN Classic Playoff Champion 2011, 2013
HTN Dynasty Playoff Champion 2019
HTN Roto Playoff Champion 2018
Tiger
General Manager

30: Washington
Dynasty: Wam and the Crier

Postby cyclone3483 » Mon Mar 02, 2020 2:29 pm

Okay, mandatory monthly trades! Who is with me?

Seriously it is tough to enforce because people have a life.
F: Scheifele-Barkov-Connor-Ehlers-Drouin-Danault-Zucker-Thomas-Terry-Kyrou Davidsson-Stephens-Holmström-Chmelevski-McLeod-True-Tomasino-Kawagucci-Protas
D:Ekblad-Lindholm-Gostisbehere-McAvoy-Bear Aho
G: Anderson-Samsonov Bilyalov
cyclone3483

Postby Dammage79 » Mon Mar 02, 2020 2:46 pm

I just would like to see all hands on deck for the key dates. Draft, TDL. And a fuck off with your shit offers If I message you. We do all have lives to live but uh the whole point of pools like this is to participate in the simulation. If 3/4s of the league arent participants, the rest of us are just swapping the same sput over and over again. A major portion of players are locked if no one participating.

How many times can I trade with washington before we fully swap rosters?

I dont know. I'm here to wheel and deal and muck about and have fun but if so few are gonna be here why should I?
Dammage79
General Manager

Postby ForeverFlameFan » Mon Mar 02, 2020 2:57 pm

Yeah, i agree with damage.

You can be busy all you want, but you’ve got to at least be present around the weeks of key events. And there is no excuse on not knowing the dates, the mods are pretty good at making sure we are aware of those.
ForeverFlameFan
General Manager

Postby FurnaceFace » Mon Mar 02, 2020 9:04 pm

It’s hard to manage at times. Most of you have been around for years and have seen the challenges with recruiting new GMs. We get good ones, we also get some that frankly are not the right fit for this league.

If I had a pool of even a half dozen potential GMs who were willing to take over a team we could be more heavy handed with replacements.

I also do check, frequently, on Fantrax to see who has logged in and if it’s obvious a GM has fallen off but I haven’t noticed that this year at a significant level. Right now we have everyone with a March date except for 3 GMs and those 3 are within a week. It doesn’t look like anyone has completely abandoned.

Our new GM mini drafts are meant to give them a fighting chance as they get some good players. I also send out a very lengthy message to the new GMs with expectations, how the league works, and some lessons learned so they don’t get completely raped on trades when they start. This past off season the mini draft was even held in person and I attended to make sure the 3 new GMs were up to speed.

I don’t know what the answer is but I do know more of us working together helps. Finding friends who are into fantasy hockey and have been in more than just 1 year leagues is a great help. Also helping these friend navigate the league and contacting them if they seem to be slipping would be awesome.

I also think we need to look at other communication channels. PMing isn’t perfect as the board doesn’t notify you. It’s just not something capable with our software and the host I use. I believe there is a conflict there which I haven’t been able to fix or can fix. I have thought of changing forum software or upgrading to see if that helps but I’m scared shitless of losing everything. It’ll have to get upgraded one year...maybe I just pay to have someone with the right skills do it. Perhaps we look at other options. We’ve had an email list and phone numbers in the past which GM’s could use to send people email or texts. That might be more direct. I would want someone to take that on as their job then because it’s something I don’t keep up on as I’ve got other things to worry about.

I’m open to ideas and I’m open to GMs helping. If you see something that you don’t like, pitch in to make it better.
FurnaceFace
No Whiners

30: Winnipeg Jets
Roto: Jets
Dynasty: Jets

Postby ForeverFlameFan » Tue Mar 03, 2020 9:27 am

I was thinking maybe a discord server? You can PM people and also have open chat, so it would make things easy when it comes to our draft parties, not that Fantrax wasn’t already doing the job.
ForeverFlameFan
General Manager

Postby jschick88 » Tue Mar 03, 2020 11:22 am

FurnaceFace wrote:It’s hard to manage at times. Most of you have been around for years and have seen the challenges with recruiting new GMs. We get good ones, we also get some that frankly are not the right fit for this league.

If I had a pool of even a half dozen potential GMs who were willing to take over a team we could be more heavy handed with replacements.

I also do check, frequently, on Fantrax to see who has logged in and if it’s obvious a GM has fallen off but I haven’t noticed that this year at a significant level. Right now we have everyone with a March date except for 3 GMs and those 3 are within a week. It doesn’t look like anyone has completely abandoned.

Our new GM mini drafts are meant to give them a fighting chance as they get some good players. I also send out a very lengthy message to the new GMs with expectations, how the league works, and some lessons learned so they don’t get completely raped on trades when they start. This past off season the mini draft was even held in person and I attended to make sure the 3 new GMs were up to speed.

I don’t know what the answer is but I do know more of us working together helps. Finding friends who are into fantasy hockey and have been in more than just 1 year leagues is a great help. Also helping these friend navigate the league and contacting them if they seem to be slipping would be awesome.

I also think we need to look at other communication channels. PMing isn’t perfect as the board doesn’t notify you. It’s just not something capable with our software and the host I use. I believe there is a conflict there which I haven’t been able to fix or can fix. I have thought of changing forum software or upgrading to see if that helps but I’m scared shitless of losing everything. It’ll have to get upgraded one year...maybe I just pay to have someone with the right skills do it. Perhaps we look at other options. We’ve had an email list and phone numbers in the past which GM’s could use to send people email or texts. That might be more direct. I would want someone to take that on as their job then because it’s something I don’t keep up on as I’ve got other things to worry about.

I’m open to ideas and I’m open to GMs helping. If you see something that you don’t like, pitch in to make it better.

I may be able to upgrade the website depending on what type of upgrade needs to be done. Who is hosting the website? If they are not capable of upgrading, maybe move to GoDaddy? I have a GoDaddy account and is somewhat painless process to move over.

Also, how about using like an instant message software. Microsoft has a service called Teams. You can download for Desktop, iOS or Android. It's a free service with a valid email address. Shaw, Gmail, telus....
"Microsoft Teams is a unified communication and collaboration platform that combines persistent workplace chat, video meetings, file storage (including collaboration on files), and application integration."

Quite possibly we could incorporate a chat service with an upgrade to the website?
jschick88

30: St.Louis Blues

Postby FurnaceFace » Tue Mar 03, 2020 12:10 pm

We're on godaddy. Last I investigated the issue is something between the forum software and linux. I think godaddy just doesn't provide the right mail service or has something turned off. I had spun up another newer version of phpBB a couple summers ago and it didnt provide email notification. Maybe something has changed since. I've just been gunshy to do the upgrade but with copious backups it should be fine. I also think I'll spin up a separate forum to migrate to which would be even safer. We'd all need to get used to a different site like forums instead of forum but I'm sure you can adapt. ;-)

Also something like Teams would be interesting. In the past I've suggested WhatsApp or Meetup as an option too. Everyone just needs to be on board with whatever collab tool we pick. Also Fantrax does have some built in forums.
FurnaceFace
No Whiners

Postby RedHawk12 » Tue Mar 03, 2020 10:02 pm

I second FlamesFan's suggestion for using Discord. It's a pretty good group chat app for fantasy hockey. And it also allows for DMs.
2018/2019 ROTO Regular Season Champions
2018/2019 Dynasty Regular Season Champions
RedHawk12

Postby Dr. Cor » Tue Mar 03, 2020 11:03 pm

Oh, I didn't know about the DM feature. But discord is pretty easy to use.
HTN performance:
Dr. Cor
General Manager

Postby peanuts22 » Fri Mar 06, 2020 7:47 am

I havesaid this before but no one seemed to care that people don't answer offers or do anything but vegetate, I was thinking about getting out also
and I have lots of time.
peanuts22
General Manager

Postby Dr. Cor » Fri Mar 06, 2020 9:41 pm

Peanuts...why don't you fill in on the Classic side. You're active. And Toronto's GM told me the other day that he plans on quitting...so that's one additional active GM.
HTN performance:
Dr. Cor
General Manager

Postby peanuts22 » Sat Mar 07, 2020 7:21 am

I already quit CLASSIC FOR SIMILIAR REASONS.
peanuts22
General Manager

Postby Dr. Cor » Sat Mar 07, 2020 9:47 am

Oh, I think it's more active than the other 2 leagues
HTN performance:
Dr. Cor
General Manager

Postby FurnaceFace » Sun Mar 08, 2020 2:55 pm

Interesting how you quit classic but seem to read all the threads in classic...

I'm looking at other forum or collaboration site options. I've found a forum site (proboards) which very similar to this but it's hosted by them, therefore, upgrades aren't something I need to worry about and PM notifications should work. It also has a shoutbox for chat.

I've also been messing around with other collaboration software options like Teams, Cliq, etc. Those are more conversation-based and would take a bit of getting used to but it's not a big learning curve. I've used Teams at various workplaces therefore it's the most familiar to me. Any of the main collab choices have extensive conversation/chat like functions including threaded private conversations which should help on the communication front. They also have mobile apps that will work for everyone and unless you've turned notifications off will prompt you if someone sends a direct message. The drawback to Teams might be you need to setup a Microsoft account but all the other options would also require an account, they just might be more open to what email provider you use.
FurnaceFace
No Whiners

Postby peanuts22 » Thu Mar 19, 2020 8:12 am

I read the threads Dave to see if I may rejoin at some point
peanuts22
General Manager

Postby ForeverFlameFan » Thu Mar 19, 2020 10:45 am